Faced with current economic situations, farmers are finding ways to grow their markets, turnover and profits. One major way is by value addition. The higher your level of value addition, the more your revenue and benefits. Well known is the fact that some farmers raise broilers to target festive periods which bring in only seasonal income. When consumers buy live broilers, processing becomes a herculean task for majority of them. Really, most consumers want convenient way to get their chickens prepared and processed broiler remains the next option for them.
Currently, the demand for processed broilers and other poultry products are increasing. This presents a great opportunity for farmers and entrepreneurs to enter broiler processing industry to boost their income.
Broiler processing is a way of adding value to live broiler production. Processing offers opportunity to make chickens available all year round to consumers and increase your revenue base. To achieve this, there is need to know and procure basic broiler processing equipment to boost productivity and improve efficiency. Basic broiler processing equipment for small-medium scale is therefore identified below;
- Kill Cone or Slaughtering Cone are funnel-shaped equipment made of stainless steel used for killing birds. It is designed to prevent the birds from flapping its wings or backing out during slaughtering and used to recover blood during bleeding.
- Scalding Tank is a tank with boiling water where birds are immersed to loosen the feathers.
- Defeathering Machine is a cylinder-shaped equipment made of stainless steel used for picking or removing the feathers. The machine removes feathers by abrasive action of rubber fingers.
- Eviscerating Table is stainless steel table on which guts (intestine, oesophagus, spleen, reproductive organs, lung) are separated from the carcass.
- Packing Table is equally a stainless steel table used in meat packaging section.
- Rinsing Tank is stainless steel tank used for washing the carcass to reduce bacteria load.
- Chiller is used for long term storage of frozen chickens. It maintains the temperature of frozen chickens after blast freezing.
- Water bottle or Cooling Tank is used to lower the temperature of carcass (eviscerated broiler) to prevent microbial growth and improve meat quality. …..
- Cutting Machine is a motorised equipment used for cutting carcass to obtain different configurations such as wings/drumettes, breasts, thighs and drumsticks . Whole birds and birds with bruises or broken bones are often subjected to cutting which will increase its value and offer more convenience to customers than whole carcass.
- Blast Freezer is used for freezing poultry products. Blast freezer uses cold air circulated by fan for rapid air movement. Well processed blast frozen poultry can stay flavourful for about 5 months.
- Carcass Hanger: is used for hanging eviscerated, washed / rinsed and chilled broiler carcass to drain out water before packing. This is necessary to prevent contamination.
All the above equipment is locally fabricated and available. To get any of above equipment, contact Kaspharyn Solutions, Nigeria
Drop your comment below!